Ministry of Defence has issued the infographic to inform about the defence budget expenditure in 2016 to explain the priorities of the defence sector, capabilities development projects and their costs. The infographic also shows the dynamic of the defence budget and the perspective with the aim to reach 2% of GDP till 2018.
The budget categories show the aim of the Ministry of Defence to finance investment projects, increasing the amount of this financing till 41% in 2018. The infographic also shows the financing for the major capabilities development project.
• In 2016, the defence budget in Latvia is 367,86 million euro or 1,41% of GDP.
• It is planned for the defence budget to reach 2% of GDP in 2018 or 570 million EUR from the state budget.
• In 2016, the defence sector receives 4 cents from each euro.
• 2016 defence budget categories: 28% investment, 27% maintenance, 45% personel.
• The most important expenditure positions in 2016: capabilities development projects (long term projects) – 99,5 million EUR, military salaries – 106 million EUR and National Armed Forces key tasks, international operations and military exercises – 49,4 million EUR.